Great question!, and one that we get asked ALL the time! BC is a great place to have a career in Real Estate. There is huge demand for licensees in both areas, so if you’re considering becoming licensed in either or both, here are a few things to consider!
Strata management as a career
There is currently a shortage of strata agents throughout BC, so if you can breathe, you can likely land with a strata management company of your choice! If you’re looking for something incredibly steady, and with the potential for a high salary, this might be the place for you!
Pros of being a strata manager
- Primarily 9-5 hours, and no weekend work!
- Incredibly steady, recession proof career
- Potential for a good salary
Cons of being a strata manager
- Long hours
- Some evening work required (a couple Council meetings per week in the evenings is pretty normal)
- You will be dealing with many problems, complaints, and an endless sea of emails!
Rental management as a career
BC’s rental market is also booming, and this too can be a good career path. You will be playing middleman between tenants and owners, and trying to keep everyone happy!
Pros of being a rental manager
- High demand
- Can work well when paired with your trading license, as you can then provide both buying, selling, and leasing services to the same client.
Cons of being a rental manager
- The business works on high volume with low margins, so you will need a large porfolio to make a solid income.
- You will be dealing with problems all of the time. Leaks, fires, repairs, etc. Calls will come primarily in the evenings and weekends when your tenants are at home.
- A large amount of your time will be spent showing properties, and much of this will be during the evenings and on weekends.
As you can see, both can provide a good career path if you want to work in the Real Estate industry, and are looking for a career with a salary vs. commission based.
Please feel free to reach out to us here with any questions that you might have about a potential career as a property manager!